· 250 ml semi-skimmed milk
· 1 tsp fast acting dried yeast
· 2 tsp dark brown/coconut palm sugar
· 400g gluten-free bread flour, plus extra for dusting
· 1 tsp xanthan gum
· 1 tsp sea salt
· 1 large free-range egg
· olive oil
· ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
· 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
· FOR THE TOPPING
· 2 cloves of garlic , peeled and chopped finely
· 2 Tbsp olive oil
· 2 x 400 g tins of chopped tomatoes
· sea salt
· freshly ground black pepper
· pinch of dried oregano
· 1 tsp red wine vinegar
· 2 x 125 g balls of buffalo mozzarella
topping options eg. artichoke hearts and rocket
1. Heat the milk in a small pan over a low heat until lukewarm, then place 3 tablespoons into a jug with the yeast and sugar. Mix well, then set aside for a few minutes so that the yeast starts to ferment.
2. Meanwhile, sieve the flour, xanthan gum and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the middle. In a separate bowl, combine the egg, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the remaining milk, pour it into the well, along with the yeast mixture. Gradually bring the mixture together with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth dough.
3. In a small cup, combine the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar, quickly mix it into the mixture. Place the dough on a floured surface and lightly knead, adding more flour if necessary to stop it from sticking to the surface. Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm, leave in a warm place for around 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
4. Meanwhile, make the topping. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes then pour in the tinned tomatoes, add the oregano, season and cook slowly until thickened whilst you wait for the dough to prove. Add the red wine vinegar and taste, adding more salt and black pepper as necessary.
5. Pre heat the oven to 200 deg C.
6. Divide the dough into four equal-sized pieces on a flour-dusted surface. Roll out until roughly 30cm in diameter and 2mm thick. Place the pizza bases onto 4 baking trays, spread over the tomato sauce, leaving a small gap around the edge. Tear over the mozzarella, then cook in the hot oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and crisp.
7. Add chargrilled artichoke hearts and rocket and serve immediately.